Ten Christmas thoughts we might forget:
- Mary and Joseph became Middle Eastern refugees!
- Mary was a single mum! She would have been ostracized maybe even stoned to death if Joseph hadn’t believed the angel.
- Joseph probably got the blame for “knocking up Mary” causing a shockingly hasty marriage.
- Joseph was a step dad to a child not his own.
- He was a manual worker and probably got pretty dirty and sweaty.
- They were poor and lived in an occupied country.
- Shepherds were looked on as very “dodgy characters” in those days.
- Stables and mangers (even forming part of a relative’s house as is now suspected from historical research) are not 5 star hotels.
- They were probably very thankful for the wise men’s gifts (how else would they finance a move to Egypt?)
- We look back and glorify the story but for Mary and Joseph (as in all real life adventures) it must have been tough, humiliating and more than a bit scary! I honor their faith and yieldedness.